Tuesday 31 July 2012

Brisingr, Christopher Paolini

For all you ignorant people who haven't read the previous books (I was going to say muggles, but that doesn't seem right), Brisingr means "fire" in the ancient language. This is book number three in the Inheritance cycle, so if you haven't read the previous books stop reading NOW. (Scroll down and read my reviews of the previous ones instead!)

Right, now that we've weeded out the weak and ignorant, I shall begin my much awaited review. For all the smartasses who have kept on reading even though they haven't read the books: read on at your own risk. Ready? Set? Boom, here comes the synopsis:


Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors, Eragon and Saphira narrowly escaped with their lives. But more awaits the Rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by promises he may not be able to keep, including his oath to cousin Roran to help rescue his beloved Katrina. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes, Eragon must make choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice. Conflict, action, adventure and one devastating death await readers as Eragon battles on behalf of the Varden while Galbatorix ruthlessly attempts to crush and twist him to his own purposes. Can he become a leader who can unite the rebel forces and defeat the King?


Loving the synopsis, whoever wrote it (I, of course, was too lazy to write is myself). Back to the review now.

What can I say, Mr. Paolini? You've done it again. I'm a sucker for these books, and you haven't disappointed. I have to say you've maintained the level of awesomeness since Eragon and Eldest, which is no easy feat! As with the other two, this book is quite dense and descriptive, which is normally a big turn-off for readers such as myself, who are more into action-packed adventures. Not to say that there isn't any action in this book, there are some epic, and I mean epic, battles which will leave you breathless just reading them. But still, very descriptive at some points, which could have made it drag on. But for some strange reason he manages to make it work (WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT, CHRISTOPHER!?!), keeping the reader spellbound throughout.

The characters in this books are extremely well thought-out, and we can see some serious character development as the series goes on. Eragon is maturing, becoming more mentally stable while at the same time increasing his already considerable skills in magic and swordsmanship, seeming to hack down entire armies by himself. Another interesting character is Roran, Eragon's cousin. He is quite one-dimensional, but somehow I still like him... He is only motivated by one thing: He must keep Katrina safe at all cost, and if he must kill Galbatorix himself to achieve his goal, then so be it. (Pretty badass, right?)

There are very few books that have me so emotionally invested in them (because, y'know, real men don't have feelings), and Paolini has managed to create a world that appeals to the reader so much that they start feeling the inexplicable need to start sparring and trekking across the forest (Now again, that may just be me... Hm, maybe I shouldn't have said that. It wouldn't do to have you think I was peculiar, would it?).

Anyway, if you're looking for a book to read, pick this one up, it's not a choice you'll regret. An amazing read, from cover to cover. It'll have you on an emotional rollercoaster that will have you going from being ecstatically happy to feeling almost clinically depressed. Get it. Read it. That is all. Post your comments and/or questions below or send them to me on twitter @ficlov. I'll do my best to reply as soon as I can!

Happy reading,

JRD

No comments:

Post a Comment