Thursday 26 July 2012

Eldest, Christopher Paolini

Okay guys, here comes the much awaited eldest review!

I said that I'd review all the books of the series in chronological order, and so, as promised, here is my Eldest review:

Before I get to the synopsis, I must warn you: It is one big-ass book. But don't be disheartened, the bajillion pages are worth reading. Surprisingly, Eldest is just as good as Eragon, which is weird for series, because normally the sequel is considerably worse than the first book. Well, that's my introduction pretty much done... Okay, I'm going to do my funky stuff now.

Synopsis:


Eldest picks up where Eragon left off, at the end of the battle between the Varden, aided by Eragon, Saphira, and their friends, and the evil emperor Galbatorix's forces in Farthen Dûr. With barely time to mourn his fallen friends Eragon is first caught up in political intrigue among the humans, and between the humans, elves, and dwarves, and then sent across the empire to complete his training as a Rider with the elves in the vast forest of Du Weldenvarden.
At the same time, Eragon's cousin Roran is sought by Galbatorix, who sends soldiers and two of the vicious Ra'zac to Carvahall, Eragon's home. Roran leads the villagers in holding them off, but Roran's fiancé is captured and the villagers are force to flee across the mountains, pursued all the way, to try to make their way by land and sea to Surda, the stronghold of the rebels.
As the story flips back and forth between Eragon and Roran we get to see both of them grow in maturity and power, Eragon as a result of his training with the last survivor of the old Riders, and Roran in a trial by fire as the de facto leader of his villagers fighting their way across the empire. These parallel streams, of course, converge in a climactic battle which once again ends the book.

Ooh, I love me a nice, dramatic synopsis! Right-o then, let's move on. 

Great book, I loved the twist at the end (trying to avoid spoilers), and overall Mr. Paolini has kept up the good work! My personal opinion is that Roran's story left something to be desired, maybe because it was slightly too slow. This was fixed as soon as the action started, with epic battles and mountains of corpses, which leaves the reader feeling ready to jump into the fray themselves.

Loved Eragon's training, I thought it was beautifully written and gives the reader of what being a Rider, or Shur'Tugal, entails and encompasses. And the last battle. THE LAST BATTLE. The sheer amazingness cannot be described in words, and since I don't know how to post a video note of me screaming like a warlord you'll just have to imagine it. Still, I think you catch my drift.

Final veredict: Brilliant book, slightly slow at some points but fantastic overall. The story flows flawlessly, I don't know how you do it, Christopher Paolini, you must be some kind of alien-genius-mutant thingy, but I love it. Keep'em coming, big guy! 

And YOU. Go and buy this book. Stop whatever you're doing and buy it, steal it, download it illegally, I don't care, just read it. (But preferably don't download it illegally, 'cos that's illegal).

Happy reading,

JRD





No comments:

Post a Comment