Saturday 1 June 2013

The Host, by Stephanie Meyer

Hello, internet. I know I've been gone for ages, but my (not so brief) hiatus is over, and I'm looking forward to posting some reviews. In other words: I'M BACK, BITCHES. I promise to be good this time round and hit you with some regular reviewing/ranting. I've written some already, because I know I get lazy and forget to post.




So, today I've decided to review a book that's been getting a lot of heat lately and has a massive fandom that's managed to get it made into a movie. 'The Host' is Meyer's big follow-up to her immensely popular Twilight saga and aims to fill that Twilight-shaped hole in teenage girls hearts worldwide. I won't go as far as to say that this book was bad, but it didn't match up to my expectations.

The concept, I must say, is awesome. The idea of a planet Earth that has been taken over by an alien species that call themselves 'souls' is brilliant, but I don't think it was used as well as it could have been. Too much attention was diverted to the Twilight-esque love triangle and it detracted from the overall impact of the novel. I get that the fans were crying out for another Edward and Jacob, but as a guy who isn't a Twilight fan I was slightly let down by it.

I can overlook the concept and the love triangle because, fair enough, it's what sells and that's what's important, right? Fair enough. The thing that killed the book for me was the protagonist. I desperately wanted a strong protagonist, someone that the reader really roots for. Someone like Katniss of Tris may have been too much to ask for, but it would have been nice for Wanda to have some sort of conviction. Instead, I got Bella Swan with a few flashes of determination from Melanie which stopped the second Jared came into the room. Sorely let down by that.

I don't like Jared's character either, to be honest. I find him quite one-dimensional and irritating. Doc and Ian, on the other hand, were both my favourite characters, the proverbial spark of hope in an otherwise mediocre novel. I loved the fact that they weren't as heartless as everyone else, and their transition from hating to liking (or loving) Wanda was gradual rather than sudden (as is Jared's case).

All in all, a cool concept, an okay storyline (if a little slow) and a protagonist I couldn't bring myself to like. It's not a bad read, but it's a book to pass the time, it has no real impact. If you're a Twilight fan, though, this is the book for you, and may still the pain in your heart with another dose of Meyer.

5.5/10


Keep reading,

JRD.


No comments:

Post a Comment